Merì is small town located in the province of Messina which was founded in the Middle Age.
The first information about the foundation of Merì are dating back to the Middle Age when the feudal town was acquired by Urso Grifalco. Later the area was ruled the aristocratic Rizzo family who developed the current old town centre. The further history of the village is connected to the whole area which was ruled by Spanish until the unification of Italy. The most important monuments of the village are the Church of St. Joseph; the Church of Maria Santissima Annunziata, built in 1596, includes a precious paintings made by Antonio Catalano in 1603; the Palazzo Morra – Garibaldi, also called De Gaetani, hosted Giuseppe Garibaldi before the famous Battle of Milazzo; the Art Museum and Antiquarium, opened in 2012, is divided into four rooms displaying the archaeological findings dating back to the Roman and Byzantine periods discovered in the area.
People live here:
George Hotel 3*