San Mauro Castelverde includes a series of fascinating ancient churches.
The feudal town of San Mauro Castelverde was founded by the Ventimiglia family who ruled the village until the 1854. The name of this tiny village honours the relics of San Mauro discovered in the feudal town in the 19th century. The most important monuments of the village are:
the Church of S.Giorgio Martire built in the 17th century, includes a Norman-Arab bell tower and the relics of S.Vittoria; the Church of S.Maria de’Francis built in the 17th century; the Church of S.Mauro Abate built in the 17th century, has a bell tower which is characterised by a pinnacle enriched by many precious coloured stones; the Church of S.Maria della Catena built in the 16th century; the Church of Badia includes impressive frescos from the 1500; the Ethno-Antropological Museum created in 1981 it includes ancient objects and artefacts which shows the customs and traditions of the village; the Castle where it is possible to enjoy a 360° view of the island including the Madonie Park, Mount Etna and the coastline.
Close to the village it is possible to visit the Tiberio Caves, a group of Kart caverns dating back to the Mesozoic era.
People live here:
It is famous for:
The poet Paolo Prestgiacomo
L’uliveto San Francesco, a massive olive trees cultivation
Degustazioni tipiche, food festival
How to get there:
Get on A20 to Messina, exit Castelbuono, then follow SS 113 exit SP 52
Get on A20 to Palermo, exit Tusa, then follow SS 113 exit SP 52
Get on A19 to Palermo, exit Tremonzelli and continue to Gangi on SS120, then tale SP60.
Bus from Palermo Central Staton and Cefalù.
the nearest station is Cefalù
The nearest airport is the Falcone e Borsellino International Airport of Palermo
Paradiso delle Madonie Hotel 4*
B&B La casa di Isi 3*
Contrada Karsa, San Mauro Castelverde, Sicilia, Italia
Santa maria in Sant’ Ambrogio
Costa Turchina in Finale
Gorgo lungo in Lascari
Lido di Salinelle in Lascari
Torre cona in Finale
Castel di Tusa