Piazza Mazzini has a Greek cross floor plan where incredibly luxurious buildings rise in its corners.
Piazza Mazzini was created after the disastrous 1693 earthquake by the Duke of Camastra. The square derived from the intersection of two streets, Via Garibaldi and Via Della Letter, framed by four buildings with fantastic terraces.
Born as a market square, Piazza Mazzini (Mazzini Square) once called Piazza San Filippo, has been designed in a particular shape to allow fishermen and farmers to set up their stalls everyday. The square has a Greek cross floor plan where incredibly luxurious buildings rise in its corners. They are characterized by eight white marble columns, which were recovered from the ruins of a Roman basilica.
After the nineteenth century, the square was too small to host the growing population so the market moved to Piazza Stesicoro and to Piazza Alonzo di Benedetto where the famous Fish Market La Pescheria is.