Porta Garibaldi celebrates the wedding of King Ferdinand IV and his wife.
Porta Garibaldi, originally called Porta Ferdinandea, is a triumphal arc built in 1768, designed by Stefano Ittar and Francesco Battaglia, to commemorate the wedding of King Ferdinand IV and his wife. The project was made using alternating layers of white limestone and black lava rock. The door is located at the end of Giuseppe Garibaldi street and the district area. Where it is placed has been called the “U futtinu” which in Sicilian dialect means “black house”. The redevelopment of the district helped this location have a brand new look, giving it back its old appeal.