The San Salvatore Castle was part of a precise project wanted by king Carl V to reinforce the defence system of Messina.
The San Salvatore Castle is located on the extremity of the port of Messina. It dated to the 11th century with hypothesis dating it back to 1081, and it was built on top of the Basilian Monastery to Saint Salvatore and the S. Anna’s Tower with the intention to protect the port. The Fortification was built by Antonio Ferramolino between 1537 and 1540. It was part of a precise project wanted by king Carl V to reinforce the defence system of Messina.
Due to its position so close to the sea and in Messina- the ancient main gateway for the invaders – this castle underwent many historical fights and somehow subbed them all. It was the 1908 earthquake that damaged the outer walls of the castle.